Saturday, March 31, 2012

Applying for a Job That Doesn't (yet) Exist ? New Graduate Resumes

A?possible job search strategy, for candidates from new grad to ?C?suite level, is to introduce yourself to a company before an opening appears. Like any other job search tactic there are no guarantees, however, what do you have to lose?

Be sure to add enough context when composing an effective introductory letter (sometimes called a direct mail letter). This skimpy letter, for example,?falls flat:

I am sending you my resume on the advice of Bill Nelson who works in your marketing department. I hope you will keep me in mind for any upcoming opportunities. Thank you, Cindy Clark

Yes, your resume follows, but a resume benefits from a cover letter that follows some of the threads that are woven through it, that defines what it is that you have to offer.

Here?s a far more effective version:

Bill Nelson, who has worked in your marketing department for two years and who also graduated from McMaster University, suggested that I introduce myself to you. He seems to think that my skills are particularly suited to working for ABC Wineries, and I have to agree.

A graduate of McMaster?s integrated marketing and sales program, I have completed several highly relevant projects. Contracted by businesses in southern Ontario, two of which?were award-winning wineries, these projects followed the procedures of their on-the-job counterparts. Here are brief outlines of my role in these.

?Cindy? then proceeds to outline her actual roles in these projects, defining the scope, actions and results of each, a formula that is far more effective than the first, bare-boned, no-effort version.

Getting attention isn?t impossible,and it?definitely takes some thinking, strategy and action. If you need help with your own job search, don?t forget?New Leaf Resumes. I?would be thrilled to help you land that first, all-important, career-launching position. With two New
Graduate Resume awards under?my belt, your resume, cover letters, and networking letters would be in expert hands! Working to your career success, Stephanie Clark

Like this:

Be the first to like this post.

amzn kristen bell kellie pickler colbert super pac colbert super pac sloth sofia vergara

No comments:

Post a Comment